Emergency Electrician Canberra: How to deal with an electrical emergency

Normally all of us take electricity or granted. It seldom happens that we ever think about electrical repairs and wiring until and unless we are faced with a certain electrical emergency. It could be that one of your appliances started acting funny or you may suspect the circuit going crazy. In any case you normally hire emergency electricians in Canberra. However, the following is a simple guide to help you understand all about electrical emergencies and the right way of handling those emergencies.

 

What could cause an electrical shock?

Electrical shocks can occur due to a variety of reasons. These could include all of the following:

  • Old appliances or faulty ones increase the risk of getting a shock. If you believe there is something wrong with your appliances have them repaired or replaced immediately.
  • Cords which have become damaged need replacing too
  • Electrical shocks are also a common reason if the wiring has become faulty
  • If the electrical appliances are placed anywhere near a water source, these need to be removed from there as soon as possible.

If you believe that any of the above could be faulty, make sure you get thee checked by emergency electrical contractors in Canberra.

 

Always be aware

Make sure you have written down all the emergency numbers and listings. You should be aware of who you should contact in case of an electrical emergency. Make sure you also have fire extinguishing supplies at hand.

  • All emergency contact numbers should be displayed clearly. These should be placed in a place which is highly visible.
  • The fire extinguishers should be checked and placed in a place where these are easy to reach.

In case of an emergency you shouldn’t be frightened. Being frightened can increase the panic and leave the people around you feeling fearful as well. It is better to be quick and call the emergency number which is displayed in front of you. If someone has received an electric shock, you would need to call the medical staff as well. Also it is better to leave the premises with your loved ones. Your first priority should be their safety.

In case a person gets a shock because of the power line, refrain from touching the wire and the personas well. Doing so might cause a shock to you as well. Turn off the power source in your home as soon as possible. It is very important that you know where the power source or box is located.

In case the shock is caused by an appliance, switch off the appliance and try to wrap the person who received the shock in a warm blanket. Call emergency services for medical help. If there are flames due to the short circuit, make sure you douse it off using a fire extinguisher. Keep in mind tat an extinguisher is only useful for small fires. If you find the fire getting out of control, run out of the place along with your loved ones and then call for help.

Keeping these things in mind would help you deal with an electrical emergency.